A Round-Up Of Youth-Focused Inauguration Events in DC
It’s easy to become overwhelmed with all the inauguration events happening around the city. That’s why we’ve put together a guide to all the youth events celebrating Inauguration 2013 this weekend. (Did we miss one? Email us at email@example.com and we'll add it.) Enjoy!
Thursday, January 17, 2013
- Inauguration weekend begins tonight! Join Rock the Vote, Campus Progress, and Young Invincibles for Happy Hour at Fujimar from 7 PM-10 PM. Tickets are $15 in advance; $25 at the door.
Friday, January 18, 2013
- Interested in developing your leadership skills over the weekend? Then consider attending the Presidential Inaugural Leadership Summit! The summit lasts through Tuesday and will be held in the Hilton Alexandria Mark Center. Enroll online at http://www.presidentialinauguration.org/.
- Gen44, the official under-40 fundraising program of Obama for America, will be hosting a Gen44 Happy Hour at Ben’s Next Door on U Street NW from 5 PM-8 PM. Check out their website for more details.
- For all the Millennials out there, the Millennial Trains Project M Central Exhibition Opening and Flash Party will be the place to be. The party begins at 6pm and lasts until midnight. Another reason to attend? It’s free!
- Join other leaders at the Young & Powerful Group Inauguration Kick Off & Cocktail Mixer at Tabaq Bistro. Event begins at 7 PM. Tickets are $44 in advance. RSVP online.
Saturday, January 19, 2013
- Join President Obama and thousands of people nationwide for the National Day of Service! Give back to the community—find a volunteer event near you!
- The Millennial Trains Project M Central will host a Millennial Ideas Forum from 10am-5pm at M Central. Attendees will engage with other Millennials through a series of panel discussions and interactive workshops. Free and open to the public.
- Can’t get enough of politics? Join the Young & Powerful Group at their Roundtable Political Forum, where young leaders will discuss important policy issues and the youth movement. Event begins at 1 PM at Howard University. RSVP online now—it’s free!
- Black Women United for Action will be hosting a 2013 Youth Presidential Inaugural Ball at Crystal City Gateway Marriott. The ball will last from 5:30pm-9:30pm. Tickets are available online for $50.
- Worried about being too young to attend inauguration celebrations? The Next President’s Inaugural Youth Ball is the event for you! It will take place at Shiloh Baptist Church at 6 PM. Tickets range from $20-$60, depending on age.
- Looking for a laugh? Join the Young & Powerful Group at their Variety & Comedy Show! Comedians from across the country will perform at Liv, beginning at 6 PM. Buy your tickets in advance for only $44!
- Young and progressive? Then head over to the Millennial Trains Project M Central Millennial Ball at M Central! The ball begins at 8 PM. Tickets available online for $75.
- Want a night out with the stars? Join will.i.am, John Legend, T-Pain, and many others for the OurTime Generation Now Inaugural Ball. The event will begin at 8 PM at the Donald W. Reynolds Portrait Gallery. Tickets are $150 for general admission; show your student ID and save $75.
Sunday, January 20, 2013
- Join fellow young professionals at the Young & Powerful Presidential Brunch and hear a message about President Obama’s historic second campaign. Great idea for networking! The brunch will begin at 11 AM at the L’Enfant Plaza Hotel. Get your ticket in advance for $44.
- Looking for an event for the whole family? The H.O.P.E. Inaugural Youth Ball, beginning at 1 PM, is the perfect family-friendly event. Located at the Howard Theatre, tickets are available online for $75.
- Young Democrats of America Happy Hour at Sixth Engine is the place to be! Event begins at 5 PM and ends at 7 PM. Tickets are $30. Register online.
- Rock the Vote and Planned Parenthood are hosting the “Plan to Rock” event to celebrate the power of young Americans to elect President Obama for a second term. It will be held at the 9:30 Club, with an open bar until 9 PM! Event is 21 and over, and tickets are available online for $75.
- Consider yourself an Obama enthusiast? Then this event is perfect for you! The Young & Powerful Semi-Formal event, at Ultra, begins at 8 PM and features an open bar, music, and heavy Hors d’oeuvres. Tickets are available in advance online for $100.
- Come celebrate the inauguration with Lupe Fiasco at The Hamilton! StartUp RockOn’s Inaugural Celebration will begin at 9 PM. Details available upon request.
- Rock All Night with Rock the Vote and Janelle Monáe at the 9:30 Club! The event begins at 9 PM. Tickets available online for $15.
- Celebrate all night with Rock the Vote at Lima! Event begins at 9 PM and lasts until 4 AM. Tickets are available online for $40. (VIP Table for $300.)
Monday, January 21, 2013
- The Official Swearing-in Ceremony will take place on Capitol Hill at 11:30 AM. Tickets are distributed by the 113th Congress and Presidential Inaugural Committee. Ticket not required to view the swearing-in; non-ticketed area begins at 4th St. NW. More information online.
- The Inaugural Parade will take place between 4th street and 14th street on Pennsylvania Avenue. Tickets to the parade are not required for entry but are required for bleacher seating. The parade begins at 2:35 PM.
- The Official Inaugural Ball is the place to be Monday evening. Beginning at 6:30 PM at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, the ball will be an unforgettable experience. All tickets have been allocated.
- The Truman Project is holding an Open House at the Truman HQ from 10 AM-5 PM.
- Still looking to celebrate after the inauguration? Join the Young & Powerful Group for their Black Tie Gala & Rising Star Awards Ceremony. The event will take place at O Street Mansion and begins at 8 PM. There will be an open bar, heavy Hors d’oeuvres, Inaugural dessert, and a Special Commemorative Gift Bag. Tickets are available online for $144.
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
- Join the President and Vice President at the National Prayer Service at the Washington National Cathedral at 10:30 AM. All tickets for this event have been allocated.
Christine Dickason is a Communications Intern with Campus Progress. You can follow her on Twitter @cdickason11.