Emily Crockett is a DC-based writer who covers activism and general politics for Campus Progress. Since joining Campus Progress in the fall of 2011, she has reported extensively on the Occupy movement and a range of other topics, including civil liberties, reproductive health, and student debt. Her work has been featured at Alternet, DCist, and In These Times, and she has made appearances on The Young Turks and Free Speech TV. Emily majored in voice and English/Creative Writing at Northwestern University; she thought about majoring in political science, but eventually joined Twitter instead. She is from (but not of) Texas, went to music grad school in Boston, and taught English in Germany on a Fulbright grant. She is a professional opera singer, lends her vocal talents to The Ash Lovelies band on the side, and discovered a knack for playwriting. Follow her on Twitter at @emilycrockett.
Recent articles by this author:
- Struggling Homeowners, Low-Wage Workers Protest in D.C.
- Why Millennials Aren’t Lazy, Entitled Narcissists
- How Young People Can Bail Themselves Out
- Missouri’s New Gun Law Criminalizes Federal Officers for Doing Job, Pushes Guns into Schools
- Why Students Across America Are Protesting—And Why It Matters
- NRA Hosts ‘Youth Day,’ And That Might Be A Problem
- Young People, Immigrants and Workers Make Noise On May Day In NYC
- By The Way, Today Your Internet Freedom Is At Risk, Again
- Prop 8 Goes To Washington: A Play in One Act
- CPAC: No New Ideas for the ‘Next Generation’?
- Meet America’s Next Generation of Conservatives [PHOTOS]
- The Sequester Could Make Millennials a Lost Generation
- Sandy Survivors to Obama: Our Power is Out, But You Have the Power to Stop Climate Change
- How Ending the War on Drugs Could Curb Gun Violence
- Dick Durbin: ‘Disgraceful’ For-Profit Industry Sucks Tax Dollars, Ruins Lives With Debt
- Michigan Has Gone Crazy: Right-To-Work and More
- Senators: For-Profits Use Dirty Tricks to Lower Default Rates
- Young People #StormCongress; Demand Fair Deal on Fiscal Cliff Negotiations [VIDEO]
- Stand Up, Live Better: Historic Walmart Strikes Occupy Black Friday
- Occupy Sandy: Disaster Relief With a Side of Solidarity