Become a Campus Progress Reporter
Are you a talented reporter or writer? Do you want a national platform for your ideas and reporting? CampusProgress.org seeks talented writers and reporters for part-time reporter positions. That’s where you come in.
We’re looking for writers and reporters who...
- care and are knowledgeable about progressive issues and politics.
- have the gumption to do some actual reporting.
- are sick of the “lamestream media” ignoring obvious points about race, gender, sexual orientation, and class.
- enjoy crafting well-told stories.
- see their future in progressive journalism.
We’re looking for reporters who can blog and write features stories. We want our writers to establish a beat on a key issue that young people care about: environment, immigration, health care, affordable education, LGBTQ equality, or the intersection of pop culture and politics. Previous writing or reporting experience for a campus or other publication is beneficial but not required. Reporters are paid a stipend per piece they produce. Writers can be based anywhere; Campus Progress does not provide office space. Keep in mind: This is a part-time contract opportunity and not a full-time permanent staff job.
Know someone else who might want to join our reporting team? Share this page with them:
CampusProgress.org reaches a large and diverse audience; a reporter position at our publication can be a great launching point for young progressive writers to break into the field of journalism. Writers for Campus Progress have gone on to write for the Huffington Post, The American Prospect, The New Republic, the Washington Post, the New York Times, the Washington Monthly, Bitch magazine, the Daily Beast, The Guardian, The Root, Slate, Yes! magazine, Talking Points Memo, Mother Jones, the Boston Globe, The Nation, Democracy: A Journal of Ideas, and many others.
Campus Progress, part of the Center for American Progress, works to help young people—advocates, activists, journalists, artists—make their voices heard on issues that matter. Through the journalism published on our website and our support to campus journalism organizations, Campus Progress is investing in the next generation of progressive journalists to ensure they’re smarter, better, and more diverse than ever before.
If you think you fit the bill, here’s what we need you to do:
- Please complete the application form.
- A résumé or one-page summary of who you are and what you’ve done.
- Three pitches for reported stories you’d like to write for CampusProgress.org covering topics of your choice. (Need help? Check out this page!) If you’re new or new-ish to writing and reporting, don’t fret: simply check out come of the great reporting on The Nation, Colorlines, The American Prospect, or CampusProgress.org to get an idea of the kinds of stories we might be interested in.
- List of social media platforms you use to engage an audience.
Campus Progress hires reporters twice a year. Terms are January—June and July—December. We are currently accepting applications for our 2013 second term.
To apply, please fill out the form here.
*Due to the interest in this position, we will only contact select applicants. The selection process may include a writing test and/or a trial period.